Monday, March 5, 2007

Tauranga in a 172... Almost

Sunday was supposed to be the same weather as Saturday, but when I rolled out there in the morning for my 11am flight to Tauranga in JGP the weather was very grim. A 1200ft ceiling (was meant to be 4000ft on the forecast) greeted us. I was even more surprised when we jumped in the plane and took off, the tower gave us Special VFR without us asking for it. I soon saw why. All to the east was a steadily lowering ceiling. I decided to go and see if we could poke a hole in it, but by Karapiro dam we were faced with a steadily lowering cloud base and rising ground. I then made the decision to return, turned 180 degrees and headed home. So much for a 40 minute flight to Tauranga, we didn't even make it ten miles from the aerodrome before it closed in!

Turned out if I had waited the weather improved to the point I could have made it there, but my that time we would have not had enough time to get back before ECT.

0.5 in the logbook and what I knew about weather reinforced!!

No comments: