Saturday, March 24, 2007

First flight in an Arrow!

After much anticipation last weekend I finally got my first flight in our Arrow, ZK-DQV:
Piper Arrow DQV

I currently fly Archers and 172s, and I have been looking forward for a long time to getting a retractable and CSU rating. I have read up on the ins and outs of operating the CSU and the gear, and I felt happy with the idea.

I expected there to be more to it than that, and I wasn't disappointed! There's the extra items on the preflight, checking the gear and prop for leaks, etc. Then there is starting an injected engine, warming it up for 2 mins before taxiing, exercising the prop, and a pre-takeoff briefing..

And then, shortly after takeoff, I get to grin and say 'gear up!!' which I've been waiting to say for such a long time!! I found that I had no issues at all with the CSU or gear, surprisingly enough. Maybe it's the hours and hours of practising on flight sim that helped?

The other thing I noticed is that not only is it hard to slow down without the gear out, but it also picks up speed alarmingly when the nose is pointed down.. Straight and level it takes a while to speed up from Archer speed to Arrow speed!!

I also particularly like the airswitch, and also the way the RMI (DI) aligns itself to the compass! Very cool!!! When I had to deal with a badly drifting DI on one particularly rough trip, I really could have done with one of those!!!

Due to weather I wasn't able to complete my rating that weekend, and with bookings and aircraft availability I can't finish my rating until after I come back from my South Island flying trip next month, so I am going to have to wait until then, but I am looking forward to flying faster and cheaper!

No comments: