Wednesday, March 28, 2007

OT: Mac saves the day!

We had a situation at work the other day when one of the guys took a photo on the digital camera attached to the microscope in the lab and he needed to get the photo off the memory card and into his laptop. The camera took some grotty old memory card, probably a Smartmedia or something like that, and the company's card reader refused to work for him on his laptop. He then paniced and informed me he *had to* have it by the end of that day. So I tried it on my work PC, but although XP recognised it had a card reader attached, but we couldn't get the memory card to appear, then he really paniced!

I just happened to have my MacBook with me, and it was sitting on my desk with it's sleep light quietly pulsing, so we plugged in the card reader and in an instant the card appeared and the files were accessible.

Score one for Mac, zero for PC!!

Of course, if I had my Sandisk Titanium USB flash drive with me, I could have put the files across on that, but instead had to resort to burning a CD. I now have it permanently attached to my car keys, just in case!

No comments: