Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A day at Raglan

I’ve been wanting to take some photos at Raglan for a while, and didn’t want to drive, so I booked JGP, and when Saturday dawned nice and sunny, I dragged Euan along and off we went! We did a bit of a detour as Euan had been talking about getting some video of the coast south of Raglan from 500ft for a while, so we headed south, and helped by a gentle descent and a nice tailwind, we had a groundspeed in the 160s. Euan shot some video, and we headed north to Raglan, where we heard a guy on the radio trying to land and having to repeatedly go around, which he later told us was due to pedestrians and their dogs on the airfield. I did a rather embarrassing Hot ‘n High (TM) approach and landing, and we went into town. I got the photos I wanted, and after lunch we headed back and flew home. Our tailwind turned into a headwind but we were still back in 15 mins thanks to us getting our act together early (5 miles from the edge of the zone), and a helpful controller who cleared us straight in. Having a fast aircraft helps – our 180hp 172 cruises at 125 easily.

Euan shot a fantastic video of my landing at Hamilton which I keep playing over and over and over :-)

All in all, an excellent way to waste a Saturday morning!

2 comments:

Flyinkiwi said...

The Youtube video compression sucks.

Chris Nielsen said...

And I had to compress it to begin with using iMovie - 179mb down to 24mb or something like that, even using supposedly 'Full Quality'.