Thursday, December 11, 2008

Warbirds open day

I wasn't going to go to the Warbirds open day at Ardmore last Sunday, but Euan twisted my arm and convinced me to go. Sunday was a glorious day so we grabbed FWS and shot up in the morning nice and early. At Ardmore were a lot more aircraft than I was expecting, including these:








There were also the usual suspects, including the ME108 and NUT, both of which I was very happy to see..





Then we had the Harvards, which did their usual thing...







The photo above looks like a bad case of lens flare but if you look close it's actually a smoky engine start...







The Thunder Mustang was a welcome sight, looking beautiful in the sun as usual. The hangar was immaculate, and the coffee was very nice as well! Big thanks to the Thunder Mustang team for making us feel welcome!






Unfortunately even though the Spitfire looked very nice it broke down just before it's scheduled display and wasn't able to be flown. Damn shame!






Some nice cars and planes were around the place, here's a couple...






Evan posing beside FWS... I don't think he saw the camera in my hand, and I suspect he wished he could fly back with us :-)




Just a photo on the way home of Hamilton central city from the air..



Sorry for the image quality on these, I had the lab do me a CD to save time... Looks great at 6x4" but not much chop fullscreen. Oh well...

7 comments:

Rodney said...

Nice pictures Chris! I wish I had been there!

As for your picture of Euan... looks like he might have been posing :-) ha ha ha

Chris Nielsen said...

Thanks!

Umm, that'd be a photo of Evan, not Euan. :-)

Rodney said...

Damn [and apologies to Evan!]... :-)

Chris Nielsen said...

I'm sure neither Evan nor Euan mind :)

Evan said...

No posing involved. Just standing there possibly watcjing something fly past...

Evan said...

BTW, the Spitfire "breakdown" was caused by filling the fuel tanks to the brim then leaving it out in the hot sun. The fuel expanded and overflowed into the fuselage and radiator bay. Starting her up would probably have caused a nasty fire.

Flyinkiwi said...

Makes you wonder if that happened to the spit when they were being used operationally. No doubt the ground crew were instructed not to overfill the planes, but things tend to go FUBAR in times of war.

PS. I was probably the one posing, I just do it off camera ;-)