Saturday, December 13, 2008

New Tamron TC joins my kit...

Just visited Auckland today and picked up a Tamron SP AF 2x Teleconverter to be used with my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 and Nikon 300mm f/4 lenses. First impressions are fairly positive, but it does make the 80-200 autofocus hunt a lot, especially on the long end. I haven't tested it in bright light yet, nor have I got sample images back either, but I'm warming up to it. We'll see how much of a hit the image quality takes, but I'm sure that because I'm using good lenses with it, I should be reasonably happy with the images it makes. We will see!!


Update: Dec 15th

I've tested the TC in the field and there is good news and bad news. Good news is the image quality with the 80-200 2.8 is surprisingly excellent! Sample images below. Bad news is the AF hunts too much to be useful for shooting aircraft. Bummer!

I've returned it and swapped it for a 1.4x converter. Bad news with that is I was forced to return it in person. Cue 3 hour drive and an afternoon off work. Which is not all bad news! Further bad news is instead of pocketing the refund for the difference I ended up buying even more stuff :)


No comments: