Friday, April 13, 2007

South Island trip - day one

Well, my trip to the South Island has finally come around, I have 12 days before I have to go back to work, and everything's set. I have JGP booked, which has pissed off the aero club somewhat, because they want it for a banner tow the second to last day I have it booked for. But they really should have booked it in, otherwise how was I to know???

I have the plane booked for long enough to go to Blenheim for the Classic Fighters airshow and the next weekend going to Christchurch for Armageddon, and step one is to fly from Hamilton to Blenheim.

I had my GPS programmed, my map with lines drawn on it, my flight log prepared, 4.5hr fuel for a 2.5 hr trip, and spare oil in the back of the plane.

So, I lodged a flight plan and took off. The weather forecast was for few at 3000 ft in some areas and sky clear in others, and wind was light at most altitudes, so I flew at 3000 ft direct Hamilton - Taumarunui - Wanganui - Paraparaumu. The flight was very smooth and the aircraft performed really well. Even without the wheel pants it got 125 indicated, and as I got further south the ground speed slowly increased, until I was getting in the high 140's.

As I approached Wellington I donned my lifejacket and whipped out the special procedures for arriving at the airshow, for landing at Woodbourne Air Force Base. There was only one other aircraft in the air at the time, and I was in and landed quick smart. Total time for the flight was 2.4 hours, which includes about .3 on the ground, so the trip was surprisingly fast.

There was only about twenty other aircraft parked at Woodbourne, so I tied the plane down and put the cover on, just in time for my friend to arrive to pick me up.

All in all, a very nice day's flying. Tomorrow's the airshow!

Sorry for this post being so delayed - haven't had internet until now.

No comments: