Saturday, March 22, 2008

Ohakea Open Day

Well, I've been very slack, and taken a week to write this - my effort here is going pale in comparison to Rodney's fantastic effort, but at least you get a bit of a story and a few photos - sorry!


Last Sunday would have been a quick trip to Ohakea for the open day turned into a marathon drive because our plane broke down. Typical. Thanks to Euan for offering to drive us down in his car. We left at 5:25AM from Hamilton and arrived at Ohakea at 10:15, just in time for the flying displays. It was great to finally meet Rodney but I am a bit worried of what he thought of me as I was fair festooned with gear :-)

I was most impressed by the Air Force's organisation on the day - the excellent ground displays included a very shiny Singapore Air Force C-130, which had a line at least an hour long all day - I got to get up close to a Skyhawk, which was nice. The flying displays were awesome, there was something going from the moment we got there until the time we left, and it finished with the awesome F-111 display, which was more than enough reason to drive five hours each way!

2 comments:

Rodney said...

Fair festooned? Yes. On the upside, you were easy to spot!

I do agree also with your comments about the RNZAF's organisation of the day. Top notch!

Chris Nielsen said...

Yeah, I really should try and rationalise my gear a bit - I'll probably trade my Canon gear in for a Nikon F5 some time this year...