Monday, January 29, 2007

X-wind circuits

The weather forecasters have been getting it horribly wrong for the last ten days or so, which is especially annoying for a VFR pilot like myself... Although at least it's been better than they said. Forecast was very bleak indeed, the actual weather was hot, sunny with light cloud!!!!!

Went up for a fly in JGP, our 180hp 172 on Sunday, just to do some circuits. Hell, I figure I need the practise, and circuits are a good, no-brainer sort of exercise..

Well, I soon discovered my general flying was fine, but crosswind touch-and-go's were not up to my usual standards.

Then after going home I realised the reason I was having so much trouble was I was forgetting how my crosswind takeoff techniques related to touch and go's. With a crosswind takeoff you need to keep it on the ground longer, which I wasn't doing, hence I ended up skidding sideways a bit down the runway as I was pushing in the throttle and raising the flaps and trying to remember to stick aileron in as well!

No comments: